Monday 13 February 2017

My Design for Spoonflower's 'Rainforest Animals' Challenge

My Entry to Spoonflowers Rainforest Animals Challenge by Hazel Fisher Creations. Watercolour and pen illustrations. Surface Pattern Design.
This week's Spoonflower challenge theme was 'Rainforest Animals' so I got out my watercolour paints, pencils and pens to create a tropical rainforest inspired design! I knew I wanted my design to be quite a busy pattern, filled with leaves and initially I researched lots of different animals to include too. For the final design though I decided to narrow it down to just toucans, macaws and blue butterflies.


I made individual illustrations in pen, Inktense (water-soluble) pencils and watercolours on smooth paper.  These were then scanned and arranged into a repeat pattern digitally. I kept some of the leaves as just watercolour, without pen lines, which I think worked nicely for a slightly softer appearance.  I also liked using the pen more on the macaw to add details to the feathers.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the design looks printed onto fabric!


My Entry to Spoonflowers Rainforest Animals Challenge by Hazel Fisher Creations. Watercolour and pen illustrations. Surface Pattern Design.
If you like this design I would really appreciate your vote in the contest! (If the design makes it into the top 25 it will be available for sale as soon as the results are announced!) There are so many lovely designs entered into the contest and it seems that I wasn't the only one to be inspired by toucans! You can view all the designs, and vote for your favourites here:
http://www.spoonflower.com/contests/bucketfeet-rainforest-animals

No comments:

Post a Comment